Friday, May 14, 2010

Off the Grid Is Good

Yesterday's "off the grid" time was great. Terry swung by and picked me up (I felt so spoiled) and we headed to get lunch. Good conversation, laughing, and easy silences - isn't that what good, long-term friendships are all about?

Then we went driving all over Scripps Ranch, exploring one newish long road that I had been wanting to explore and we drove through countless neighborhoods, looking at all the new houses, giving our humble opinions as we went along. The great thing is that this is actually part of his job so he wasn't playing hooky (at least not completely). We even responded to a possible burglary and I was in charge of getting the map out and navigating us to a possible escape route. The helicoptor was going around overhead and everything. It was cool.

I initially thought he was only going to be able to hang out for a couple of hours but it turned out he dropped me back home right when I had to go get I. from school. So we were able to spend almost 3 hours hanging out. The best part though is the fact that we really did nothing but spend time together and that was enough, more than enough even.

It helps soothe me to know that even though Mark is gone and though our relationship can never be replaced due to its uniqueness, I still have a couple of guy friends that I can count on when the chips are down. They've seen the good, the bad, and the ugly of me in the past yet they're still here and those tough memories actually bind us together all the more.

Back to my normal life today of being the momma and while I love this role and I love I. with all my heart, I have to admit that yesterday I felt singled out and special, protected and taken care of, and without a real role that I had to play. And it felt good, really good, to just be me, the unadulterated version of me.

No comments: