Tuesday, April 20, 2010

A Non-Mayhem Morning

I'm sitting here thinking, "Wow, this morning has been really smooth and relaxing so far." Is this the calm before the storm? Probably but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy it.

What goes into a non-mayhem morning, you ask? Well, first of all you're not woken up out of a deep sleep by loud sobbing and "BABY BEAR" being screamed over and over again so loud that the house is shaking. That's a good start. Then when you go downstairs, you find out that the cats did NOT for once conspire to piss you off first thing in the morning. There was no throwup or shit on the carpet for me to clean up - hallelujah. Next, when the one hour of allowed tv time was up, there was not whining and generally disagreeable behavior coming from I. Every morning I've been working on this with her and I think she finally caught on. When the hour is up, I tell her to choose between the kids' music channel or turning it off. The last 4 days she says she won't choose so I get up and make the choice for her. So today the inevitable moment arrived, I gave her the choice and without any more dialogue, she chose the music channel and started playing. I must say, the planets lined up for that one.

So that's what goes into a non-mayhem day. This afternoon, I. has to return to the doctor for 2 more vaccinations, something neither of us is thrilled about. Her, because of the obvious pain. Me, because I have to perform the worst parenting task there is - holding your child down while they get the shot. She's so strong now, it's not enough to just hold her. It's really awful how some of the parenting things we have to do to protect our children hurt our hearts so much while we do them. Hopefully the frozen yogurt afterwards will ease our pain.

No comments: