Sunday, April 4, 2010

A Couple of Posts Coming At You

First of a couple, or maybe a few, posts all tackling various topics. First post, why don't we women tell each other what's coming? Why don't we talk freely about peri-menopause and menopause itself? Not that I'm experiencing these states right now, but I've been hearing about famous people talking about this and I think to myself, "Why is this the first time I've heard about these things, outside of hot flashes?"

It makes me think of how NOBODY tells you how the first 12 weeks with a new baby can be soul wrenching, especially for a first child. The first 2 weeks all they do is sleep and you're stressing how to wake them up to get enough nutrition in them and then the next 10 weeks is how the heck can you get them to stop crying and sleep in between the 2 hour feedings? Add on top of this the fact that noone tells you that you will look 6 months' pregnant and alot less firm being wheeled out of the hospital after you give birth. Another dark, dirty secret that needs to be told ahead of time.

So now on the other side of procreation, why doesn't every woman share the info about what you can expect and how you can deal with it? This is quality of life info that every woman should know. Do I really have to watch Suzanne Somers and Raquel Welch on Oprah to know what I should expect in the next 20 years? I'd rather know from someone in my own financial range what was upcoming and the best way to approach it. I know I'm not going to be able to have radical surgeries or reconstructions but what can I honestly do at the gym, dietary-wise, and for superficial treatments to look my best in the next 2 decades?

Let's stop competing with each other and keeping the secrets. It's time to share the knowledge and start becoming a team.

1 comment:

Diana Duke said...

Amen to that. I think it's sad that we find out more things from the television and internet than we do from each other. What are friends for?