Saturday, November 6, 2010

Five Years Ago Today

Exactly five years ago at this time of day, I had been in labor for 4 hours with I. Now that in and of itself may not sound that interesting. However, keep in mind that today is Sunday night and I. will not be born until Tuesday morning.

They say that you don't remember your labor once you have the baby and I say that's BS. I remember most all of it, all 36 hours of it. I don't just remember the hard, painful time of it (though boy do I remember that) but I also remember the funny moments of it, being on all fours rocking through contractions while my parents were hanging pictures on my wall, making hilarious comments that made me laugh which made the pain even worse. Best of all, I remember holding her for the first time but that should be something I post about on Tuesday, not today.

Today was I.'s birthday party with family and she had such a good time. When we got to On The Border where our longtime waiter/friend works at, I was shocked and choked with emotion because he didn't just take our reservation for lunch. He had gone to Party City and gotten princess themed mylar balloons, regular balloons with her name on them, streamers, birthday hats, a princess tiara, the works. I just couldn't believe he did all this for us and it still touches me deeply. I. was surprised and tickled to say the least and we had a nice lunch. We came back to the house to open presents and have my homemade cake and it went well.

What I am probably most pleased with is how I. behaved. All these people, all these presents and she didn't just rip through them like a tornado. As she opened gifts, she showed appreciation for each one and often accompanied this with hugs of thanks. We must be doing something right raising her and that makes me really happy.

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Your long time waiter/friend is one of a kind. But everyone should have someone like that in their life. Someone who goes above and beyond and they don't even have to. I must have felt like a princess.