Friday, June 11, 2010

It's All About The Journey

If there's a lesson I've been learning for the past few years, it's that life is all about the journey, not the finish line. Being a goal oriented person, that's a hard one for me. I like to cross things off my lists, travel to vacation destinations as quickly as possible because to me, I get satisfaction from the end result.

Life's end result is not that great though, you know? I mean, yeah if you have religious beliefs, you have future hope after you die so I guess that becomes the end result but how many of us would happily choose to fast forward to that at this point in our lives. Not me, for one. Once upon a time in my sick, sick mind maybe so but not anymore.

In honor of that journey lesson, I changed the background of my blog. It's to help remind me to enjoy the little things along the way because the big things don't come around all that often. It reminds me to look over at I. intently and silently (hallelujah!) stringing colorful beads on a string to make me a necklace and marvel that this little being is my daughter. I have a daughter! That fact causes involuntary head shakes in wonder because I never envisioned myself raising a little girl. Increasingly, our relationship mirrors the memories I have of my mom and I had when I was I.'s age since I was an only child for 13 years. I chuckle when I think how disappointed I was not that long ago that I. would pretty much be an only child because I have great memories of it just being my mom and I. I think I was lucky and hopefully I. will too.

No comments: