Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Days 67-71

Can't believe it's the last week of summer vacation for I.  It really has been a great summer and when I think of her going back to school, my eyes tear up.  But that's a good thing.

Last Friday, day 67, was a normal get things done kind of day.  All week our realtor has been going back and forth with some people and we finally agreed to their counter to our counter and I signed the contract that night to open escrow on Monday.  Pretty exciting.

Saturday I went for a vigorous hike at the lake while D. was sleeping and then instead of heading to the gym, I surprised my brother by showing up for a few hours at a karate tournament being held in San Diego.  We'll leave the conniving girlfriend out of this story for sake of time and say that it turned out fine after some annoying moments and he and I finally have a lunch together on our calendars to look forward to.  Big hugs and a kiss and good feelings between us when I left and that is what is important.  At the nighttime event, the girlfriend pissed off my mom big time and my dad too so we've got to somehow get her out of here.  That being said, this is the first girlfriend of his (and he's had many) that we do not like.  All the others became part of the family.

Sunday, I surprised I. with going ice skating just the two of us.  During the school year she had a field trip to the rink and really liked it so had been asking about it for awhile.  I was kind of concerned for myself since I hadn't ice skated in 30 years or so.  Gosh that makes me sound older than dirt and I certainly don't feel like that!  It appears to be like riding a bike and I didn't fall and even was able to maintain my balance while keeping I. upright which was difficult most of the time.  She had a good time and even though my foot felt like it had a bone bruise most of the time, I enjoyed her enjoying our time. 

Saturday night our realtor said that the people who were buying our home wanting to come and see it again on Sunday so we of course said sure but I had a bad feeling about it.  So bad that on Monday morning, I texted our agent to verify that we were going into escrow that morning.  Come to find out, now the buyers weren't sure if the layout would work for their young children and ultimately they pulled out.  I was so pissed off since my understanding is that you make up your mind BEFORE you sign a contract, not after.  On Friday I had spent time on the phone with our lender working out details and getting him more info in preparation for going out and making offers.  But no, back to the drawing board we go.  On a good note, we all went to swim class together (the last one for all 3 of us) and I.'s orthodontic consultation went well with us being told she wouldn't need to worry about anything until she's 12 or so.  Even then, it doesn't sound like it's going to be a huge thing so that is great.

Today we finally had Melissa's birthday brunch and it went fantastic.  My parents came over and picked up I. for a few days by herself with them so that they can do things that they can't do when D. is over there, ie. LEGOLAND and a movie.  So D. and I were on our own this afternoon.  We went grocery shopping where he had a piece of cheddar cheese, was offered a banana from the fruit guy and then conned his way into a slice of avocado.  Pretty awesome trip for him!  Then we came home for a late rest and then since I didn't need to get him in bed until 5:45, when I got him up we went over to the lake for a bike ride - over 5 miles in about 35 minutes.  Not bad.  It's amazing how simple it is to get  one kid in the bath and bed.  Like a cake walk!

Trying to figure out some different activities we might do tomorrow since I don't know how his sleep schedule is going to go.  When I. is here, once he wakes up in the morning, he stays up because she's up and turning on the light.  However, without her, he may fall back to sleep.  I plan on getting up 30 minutes earlier to see if I can catch him before he falls back asleep because then our day won't be broken in half by a long nap.  I'm not sure it will work, thus the multiple activities that I can mix and match.  Regardless, it should be a good day.

No comments: