Monday, October 18, 2010

Experiencing Another First

Today I was planning on I. and I heading up to Julian for her first visit. I figured going up on a Monday would be a great idea because the crowds would be limited. However Mother Nature had other plans for us and as it turned out, it was a good thing she did.

Yesterday morning a light storm moved into San Diego and when I looked at the weather, that same storm was going to head into Julian overnight, leading to thunderstorms today. So after V. left for the airport (yes, on a Sunday morning), I decided that I. and I were going to have our road trip now or never.

It turned into a great trip for us. It only took us 45 minutes to get to our first stop, Dudley's Bread, to pick up some delicious bread loaves and munch on a piece of Date Nut bread on the way to our next stop. (Can you tell I had been in research mode the night before?) Our next stop was an apple orchard where we picked a bag of apples which was something I had never done. Then onto the town of Julian which unfortunately was very crowded for lunch, wandering, and then waiting in line for a piece of Mom's Pie. We both decided on Apple Cherry Crumble and it was delicious. The weather was perfect, about 59 degrees, just like how you want it to be when you're visiting the mountains. It was so fun to be there with my little girl after having memories of being there with my parents when I was a little girl. So much has changed but when we were there, so little had changed too. In a way it was comforting.

I'll never miss the chance to experience a "first" with I. They are the highlights of my motherhood and the things that always get me through those things I secretly wish were "lasts".

Now if I can just figure out a way to not be so doggone sad/practically grieving about next year when she goes to school full-time. I just can't help but see it as the beginning of an end and one that I didn't anticipate coming so rapidly. I cannot be the only mother who feels this way but I feel like the intensity with which I feel it is out of proportion to "normal" mothers. I know my mom cried on my first day of school every year because summer was over so I think she probably did feel this way. I'll have to ask her when I talk to her this week.

***Pictures to follow***

No comments: