Monday, October 11, 2010

Seven Years Ago

Seven years ago (plus an hour), V. and I were married in a sunny chapel down in La Jolla surrounded by our friends and family and then enjoyed a lunch party at George's. Tonight we will be heading to George's for our traditional anniversary dinner and I have my fingers crossed that they will have their lobster tasting menu and wine pairing. It is Bliss with a capital B. It's also EXPENSIVE in all caps but it's once a year and considering what we've been through the last couple of years, am I really going to worry about what one dinner costs?

Speaking of what we've been through, I am happy and relieved that this anniversary we are in much better shape than last anniversary. We weren't fighting or anything like that. It was more like so much had gone on but was still floating under the bridge. We had non verbally called a truce just to get some time and distance to begin healing but nothing was really resolved so uneasily we both knew that it could all happen again.

But it all got processed and I think we not only understand ourselves a little better, we are more careful with one another to not let things get that way. If we even sense it's going that way, I'll be the first to call us out on it. I guess I'm the canary of this coal mine. Hopefully the lessons we've learned can continue to be applied to ward off the pitfalls of the last year or so. Things would be so much easier if we could just live in the same house seven days a week but that doesn't seem to be in the cards anytime soon.

So we go into this dinner and into our eighth year, happy and strong and I'm proud of that.

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Happy Anniversary! I hope your evening turned out to be as great as you hoped for!