Thursday, November 26, 2009

Trying to Live in the Moment

The title of the post contains a very hard concept for me right now. Thanksgiving went better than expected until after dinner. My mom woke up with a migraine, due to all the stress, so I knew I was going to have to really help organize everything or we wouldn't have a chance in hell at having the rest of the dinner ready when the turkey was done.

Due to the migraine meds she was on, trying to keep my mom on task was almost impossible so I got an assembly line of my brother and sister to take care of the potatoes while I took care of all the other side dishes. This allowed my mom to just take care of the easy things like getting the serving dishes and utensils and other peripheral stuff which was perfect. The dinner went off very smoothly and everyone agreed that it was the most efficient, organized, and relaxed (most importantly) Thanksgiving preparation ever. My sister didn't have a problem with the wine, in fact she had a glass which I wasn't particularly comfortable with but since my parents had put a wine glass in front of her setting, what was I going to do?

After dinner, I put I. to bed and that's when things got pretty irritating 'cause my sister was acting all weird, saying bizarre things, and doing this weird "staring thing" that she does at my brother's new girlfriend and the girls too. So people started laughing and she just kept laughing inappropriately loud and talking super loud which I was afraid would interfere with I. falling asleep (over an hour later than normal as is). So I had to keep telling her to shut up but she kept doing it until dessert. V. was falling asleep by this point so we left right after dessert. Apart from that last 30 minutes, Thanksgiving was a success but boy am I tired!

Driving home, my mind inevitably drifted to Mark. It also drifted to the fact that V. will be leaving on Monday morning at 7am-ish and be gone for the longest time we've ever been apart and at a difficult time of year. I started getting sad but am trying to not go there now but it's really hard. Sometimes it's better to deal with things in little bits before they happen so that you don't hold it together to just fall apart completely when the event actually happens. I don't know which is healthier - guess I should have figured this out before this weekend!

No comments: