Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Finally, A Really Great Day!

Yesterday was a truly great day in our household. Did something major occur? No, but a bunch of the little things that I enjoy and have missed did and that was SO much better than any big thing. Disneyland wouldn't have even come close.
We started Labor Day with a leisurely morning and then went to the cooler coastline for I.'s first miniature golfing experience. She was stoked and we all had a great time. It was just so neat to see her enjoy a "big girl" experience and teach her something new.





After we golfed, I. surpisingly said she was hungry. Imagine that, I. hungry! So we went to Fidel's, one of our favorite restaurant just around the corner, where I. had a full lunch and V. and I had an appetizer and margaritas. Talked turned to Las Vegas, past and future memories and it was alot of fun. Then home for resttime and then onto our Labor Day BBQ. Since I. goes to bed so early, it's rare for us to have dinner all together (except for regular Saturday "linner") and getting to eat outside makes it a real treat for I. On top of that, I. had strawberry ice cream for dessert so it was a great time for all of us.





After I. went to bed, V. and I enjoyed a movie and then a little something-something afterwards. I swear, it felt like we fit several days worth of good stuff into one day without feeling rushed - it just flowed and it was really nice.

Here's the analogy that has run through my mind all day and seems to capture how I felt yesterday. Imagine you broke your ribs, an injury for which nothing can help except time and rest. An injury that causes excruciating, sharp, constant pain that causes you not to be able to take in a deep breath of life-sustaining air. Then after a long period of time, one day you are able to take in a full breath of air without the stabbing pain in your side. That was today for me and even if tomorrow or future days have rough moments, I'll thank God that I've felt this relief for one day because it holds the promise of the days to come.

2 comments:

Diana Duke said...

Yeah for a really good day! Even if it hurts to breathe again tomorrow, you know that there is hope.

Cheryl said...

I love this posting. For some reason I hadn't seen but you had told me about your special day. I especially love the pic of I adoringly looking at her daddy and also the one with him teaching her about minature golf. Praise God for good days to give hope!