Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas Eve - Lessons Learned

Christmas Eve and I"m here sitting on the couch by myself but this year is SO much better than last year. First of all, I KNEW I was going to be sitting here by myself so that allowed me time to plan for it. Today was a really good day. I. and I baked for hours this morning - gingerbread for us and Santa, then cranberry almond bread and a baked egg dish for tomorrow's Christmas brunch at my parents'. We had fun cooking together and it felt good to be productive and stay at home most of the day with the Christmas music playing. It felt like Christmas Eve, not just a regular ole day. After she went to bed, I took a bath while reading a book and having a glass of wine.

Secondly, tonight V. and I were able to webcam and I got to see him open his presents up on his Christmas morning which was nice. Unfortunately, he won't get to see I. open her presents up tomorrow morning because all the staff is going out for Christmas dinner. Oh well, one out of two ain't bad.

Thirdly, I know from last year that watching a traditional Christmas show tonight by myself makes it worse. So, this year I watched my favorite movie, Fried Green Tomatoes and it feels special.

I wrote my first Santa note back to I. and I feel like an official adult parent. I even did it with my left hand like my dad used to do for me. Since I am Santa, I will be having a piece of gingerbread and a glass of milk before I go to bed. Mmmm.....

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Merry Christmas April,
It sounds like you were being led to do just the right things that made this Christmas Eve and Christmas still special. I hope it continued into Christmas Day.
Peace and Love to you and I.
Cheryl