Saturday, December 26, 2009

Boxing Day - My Style

I'm not sure what Boxing Day means in Canada, but here in my household now that I. is here, Boxing Day means spending a lot of time reorganizing toys - moving still useful toys that are not played with too often to the downstairs closet, moving no longer played with toys to the garage, and donating all those toy items that I have been dying to get rid of. This once a year project led to I.'s bedroom closet project which included closet reorganization, the addition of toys, and a major bookshelf overhaul in which most of the baby board books were removed to make room for additional, age appropriate books. You see, my parents kept all of my and my 2 siblings books so to say that we have a lot of children's books would be an understatement. Not that I'm complaining about that except that we don't have a lot of storage and between keeping her clothes, her baby equipment, baby toys plus boxes of books (and these are just through age 11 or so), we're running out of room and quickly.

Once I started in the garage adding MORE things to it, I realized there was some overdue memorabilia boxes of mine that could stand to be whittled down and combined into smaller boxes. So I did that and was left with 5 additional boxes I could get rid of which is pretty good. The garage is far from being contained but it is much more organized and compact as of right now. All these projects took me 4 hours to do and at the end, I was physically tired and achy (especially since I went to the gym this morning) but very happy with my productiveness. I still needed to unpack the shopping bags of stuff from Christmas at my parents but I needed a break more.

So I showered and went to see the movie "It's Complicated" and enjoyed it immensely. I found it very funny and it reminded me of one of my favorite movies "Something's Gotta Give", probably because it was written and directed by the same person. I laughed, relaxed, and enjoyed myself then came home to Christmas Eve leftovers for dinner. Yes, I am on the couch tonight even though I. isn't home but not for the whole evening and on my terms. I knew the movie theater would be extra crowded tonight and that I would be too tired to enjoy a movie this evening so I went to the 4:30 showing which is still a real treat considering I have to be home by 3pm these days.

Even though I did miss I., this was a really good, satisfyingly productive day that needed to happen. I am looking forward to our getaway next week in Palm Desert just I. and I and have penciled in some tricycle riding and downtime just for us to play since I won't have as many responsibilities surrounding me out there. Something to look forward to...just what the doctor ordered!

1 comment:

Blasé said...

I miss our garage...