Friday, April 20, 2012

Idyllic Morning

D. took a shorter nap this morning so I took advantage of it and instead of taking a walk down at the lake near our house, we headed down to Harbor Island for a walk.  What a beautiful day!   A nice breeze, warm sun, and the sea air and best of all, time with my son.  After our walk, I spread a blanket on the grass, sat D. on it and fed him his lunch of mashed bananas and egg yolk.  He can sit up so well these days.  He's growing up so quickly and while I celebrate all of his accomplishments and cheer him on, I'm sad.  Motherhood is such a contradictory process - while I'm thrilled to see D.'s accomplishments (clapping, sitting up, understanding words, etc.), another part of me grieves because these firsts signify his growing up, that he is moving quickly away from babyhood.  Don't get me wrong, I'm still full of joy and thankfulness that I got to go through this another time.  It's just that it seems as though it is passing by even faster than it did with I.  

If nothing else, it's spurred me on to doing things with D., making memories and not waiting.  Mornings in the bathtub with him while he's little, parking at the end of the runway and watching the planes land, just experiencing as much as possible because now I know, these early years will fly by.  Some days may seem long but the years pass quickly.

I. and I had a good afternoon today after a full week.  After school, lunch, and getting D. down for a nap, I did 25 minutes of rest (not sleep, just eyes closed) on the couch while I. played Tiny Zoo and then we went out on the patio and colored for awhile.  Once D. got up, we went to get gas and get our car washed while I. happily munched on the free popcorn and D. happily nestled in my arms.  At one point, I was hugging I. with one arm as I stood holding D. with my other arm and I thought, "Wow, I've got 2 little kids now!" Who would have thunk it.

No comments: