Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Satisfying Email

About two months ago, a book at the library caught my eye because it was a true story about a lifelong friendship between two men, ending when one died of cancer. It was touching and I could identify with many of the feelings and thoughts the friend was going through watching his friend fight to live while knowing what eventually was coming. It brought me to tears several times but made me feel so much better being able to identify with someone about such a painful topic.

So I decided to email the author and tell him how much I appreciated his book,how sorry I was that he lost his friend and a little bit about Mark. Hit send and forgot about it.

Well, lo and behold a couple of weeks ago, he emailed me back apologizing for the delay but that he had been on the road reporting (he writes for newspapers too) on the election and just now was getting caught up on his emails. What impressed me is that it wasn't a canned email. He thanked me for writing him and sent his sincere thoughts about Mark and hoped things were still going okay. He asked if I would read his newest book and email him with my thoughts about it as well. Pretty cool!

I like being acknowledged, not just for what I do, but just that I've been heard and what I've said has been noted. To me, that's an integral piece of the puzzle between a good day and a great day.

2 comments:

Diana Duke said...

Way too cool. As a writer, I find that connecting with people about my work is one of the most satisfying parts. I'm sure that you were just as meaningful to the author as he was to you.

Unknown said...

How awesome is that! I hope you have many more great days ahead.