Monday, May 14, 2012

Mother's Day Report and Then Some

This morning was the first morning in I don't know how long, perhaps 9 months, that I was not awakened by D. before my alarm went off.  Oh he was up but he was quietly dismantling everything he possibly could inside his pack and play.  He pulled the cord out of the vibration thingy, pushed on the nightlight, and fiddled with other buttons until he had bird chirping noises going off.  Of course this was in addition to the heartbeat white noise machine that is normally on, safely out of his reach.  All this made for a busy, focused and less vocal morning thus my ability to sleep until the alarm.

And boy did that make a difference in how I felt when I woke up.  I was alert and felt relatively rested when the alarm went off and able to easily get out of bed instead of falling back asleep numerous times within the first minute.  Now that I sit here at the end of my day, I feel pretty okay granted I did doze off for about 20 minutes this afternoon but that was after a busy morning around the house, followed by grocery shopping with D. strapped on me and then lugging him and the groceries up 2 flights of stairs.  After a very quick lunch, we were off to get I. from school, take her to the dentist, and then get home in time to feed D. and get him down for an hour long nap.   Plus a couple of loads of wash...and I feel much better than I have in the past few weeks.

I think I have been discounting what getting woken up 2-5 times in my last hour of sleep does to me.  Obviously more than I realized.  While this doesn't change anything really, it might make me feel better about my tiredness.  I'm not moving D. into I.'s room until she's out of school because we don't need to go through this learning curve when she's so close to the end of the school year.  I think we'll start it after the 4th of July.  Most likely she'll be at my parents' house for a few days so that may be a good time to move D. in there by himself and get used to the new environment before she comes home.

Finally a good Mother's Day, no drama and no stress.  It was a small group without my brother's girlfriend and V. but it was still good.  And of course my sister wasn't there thankfully.  Strangely enough she sent me a card "To My Lovely Sister" and wrote that she hoped I cherished I. and D. even more.  Huh??  And a book that she said reminded me of the books I've gotten her in the past though the description of this book talked about a claustrophobic work and sex and death so I'm not quite sure about that.  I did make note that it was better than the book she got my dad a couple of years back - the cover of the book was covered with pictures of cockroaches and was some futuristic, nightmarish story.  So I guess I should count myself lucky.  Not sure what to make of this odd development though.  My mom really liked my gift of her father's poems and stories bound in a book and I'm sure once she gets over the shock, I'll hear more from her about it.

All in all, a good Mother's Day though a tiring one.  While lunch was nice, between cutting up I.'s food,  monitoring her water intake, taking her to the bathroom, shoving food in D.'s mouth before he got upset and trying to catch all the things he was throwing on the floor at a record pace, it was a little chaotic.  Thank goodness for the free Bloody Mary for the moms or I may have gotten stressed with the level of chaos.  That being said, I think I'm doing pretty well more times than not juggling two kids.  Yes, it takes a lot of me but that's only because I'm trying to strike a balance not only between the two kids but also a balance for each one.

V.'s home on Friday night and I'm really looking forward to it.  He will have been gone basically a month and that in our lives right now is a very long time.

No comments: