Saturday, May 19, 2012

Day 24 - V. Is Still Gone

Going on Day 24 of V. being gone.  Have you ever seen the movie "Groundhog Day"?  Well every morning when that alarm goes off at 6:30 that's how I feel.

V. called on Friday, the day he was supposed to come home.  The day we were all holding on for and told me that his best friend in NY was in the hospital.  He had passed out the night before and fell down and split his head open.  When they took him into ER, he couldn't feel his legs.  I told V. he had to go up to be with him for the weekend.  He drove up there this morning and spent the day and evening with his friend and his parents and will spend more time with his friend tomorrow.  He can feel his legs now and can walk with help but he is going to have to have neck surgery and have rods placed in there - major surgery.  But V. should be home tomorrow night just in time to leave by 4am on Monday morning to go to LA for 2 days, coming home late Tuesday night.  By the time the kids see him on Wednesday before bed, it will have been one month.  That is way too long.

In that time, D. has started commando crawling, then regular crawling one knee here and there.  He can motor from one room to another room.  He knows how to suck on his tongue to make a clucking noise.  And he's become an even wilder man in the bathtub - flipping over on his stomach (this is still in a toddler bathtub) to reach the faucet behind him.  He is just so determined.

While I. has not changed all that much, she is emotionally hanging in there, barely.  I put together a BBQ for tomorrow because I know she enjoys that to lessen the disappointment of V. not being home as scheduled.

And me, well I try to not think of me because I need to think of these kids first.  I have the ability to maintain perspective while these two are too little to do that.  My job has been to hold down the fort but I will look forward to when V. is home and I am not solely responsible.

No comments: