Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A Lesson In Appreciation

Today I really felt like I did a good job as a Momma. Not only did I carve out time to sit down and play with I., I think I also conveyed a message that is very important to me: how to be appreciative.

Yesterday afternoon during the deluge of the storm, I looked out at our back patio and was dismayed to see tons of water pouring into it via the rain gutter above it. I called the property management company and left a message that this needed to get fixed. This morning, a woman called back to acknowledge that she got the message and would put in the work order but told me that the people responsible for fixing this don't usually go out in the rain. I wasn't thrilled about that because we were in the middle of the second storm and still had the worst of it ready to hit us tomorrow evening. But, what can you do?

An hour and a half later, I heard something outside and lo and behold, there is some guy on a 2 story ladder cleaning out the rain gutter in the pouring rain with 40 mph. gusts of wind. I. and I had to run 1 quick errand so after putting her in the car seat, I grabbed the umbrella and ran outside the garage to see this guy now on our roof still clearing out the rain gutter. I told him how much I appreciated him doing this and he seemed pleased even 2 stories up.

When we got home, I told I. that I wanted to call the lady back and tell her thank you. I. asked why and I told her because if someone does something nice for you to help you, you should thank them because it will make them happy and they will help you in the future. So I called and thanked the lady and she said,"Is that why you're calling?" I'm a little wary now so I just say,"Well, yeah." and she says,"Rarely does anyone ever call me to say thank you. So thank YOU, you just made my day." That tickled me! When I got off the phone, I. asked what she said and I told her exactly what the lady had said and ended that with "See! Our phone call made that lady really happy." I. had the biggest grin on her face and I did too.

Chalk that up - 1 for appreciation, 0 for entitlement.

No comments: