Sunday, January 6, 2013

The Download

Back from our trip to Idyllwild, trying to hold onto the magic of the vacation.  It's been awhile, I think before our Puerto Rico trip the summer of 2010, that we've had a really good, stress-free, drama-free vacation.  We made it up 30 minutes before the snow started falling and luckily I had packed enough food for us because we weren't able to leave the house until the day we were due to check out.  Lots of snow gave I. and I much playing time, D. not so much because he was sick with a wicked cold and cough.  V.'s back held up pretty well (an oddity for vacations) and my shoulder problems actually got better during the vacation.  I got to read some magazines and books (not whole books like pre-kids but at least partial ones) and got to play with my kids without the never ending list of things that need to be done like I have when I'm at home.  It was fun to play in the snow in the morning with I., come in and play cards or do a puzzle while D. was still napping and then play a little more after rest time in the afternoon.  V. got cabin fever by the 4th day which is understandable but me being the stay at home parent, I was just enjoying having a balance of me time and enjoying my kids.  Here's some pics:






I'm so thankful that we finally had a great vacation and we made it down in one piece, thanks to V. and I working as a team putting the chains on and with even more difficulty, lying on the street trying to get those darn things off.  It took about a half an hour but with cool heads and persistence, we got them off.

Now looking forward to this Puerto Rico trip...I thought being weaned like I. did was harsh but it's nothing compared to weaning a kid who enjoys his nursing sessions.  We were down to 3 but last Friday we went to Legoland and missed one of those feedings which I thought could kick off losing the second nap time feeding.  Friday was fine but Saturday when it was time for afternoon nap and he realized I wasn't going to nurse him, it was horrible.  He arched his back, thrashed around and when he realized it just wasn't happening, he just cried like his heart was broken.  It killed me (it still kills me to think about it) and we both cried as I put him down in his bed.  Today I took him up earlier so that just he and I could play just the two of us and snuggle together as we read and sang and when I put him down, he seemed more satisfied and happy which was a blessing for both of us.  It's been awhile that D. and I have had time just the two of us to play together.

That said, it's a painful process for both me and D.  I can feel my hormones changing and I'm relishing these nursing sessions since we're in the final days.  I'm still anguishing about prematurely weaning him and I have to admit still wondering if there would be any milk after being gone for 5-6 days.  So much to think about.

No comments: