Friday, August 17, 2012

Happy Moments

D.'s birthday was great. He enjoyed so much and all of his sisters were there which was a real treat. I made it through in one piece - the anticipation of it and remembering what was going on a year ago leading up to his birth day is worse than the actual day. Today I finally took down the decorations and felt the painful tug all over again. But then I thought about how happy he was at his party and how excited he is every day to play with his new toys.






On D.'s actual birthday we went to the beach and had a nice morning there.



Later that week, we had a birthday playdate with a friend of D.'s from music class. They played next to each other and it was fun to see them squeal at each other.



Yesterday I took I. out for the morning for some special time. We went bowling, then bought some school shoes for her, followed up with lunch at Souplantation which we both enjoy. It was a really fun time.



While we were eating, I. said, "This feels strange." What was odd was I was thinking something along the same line so I knew exactly what she meant.  I said, "It's strange because D. isn't with us." And she agreed that that was exactly what it was. It's amazing that something so new now feels like the new normal and when he isn't with us, it just doesn't feel right. She said she missed him and I asked if we should hurry up and finish eating so we could get back home to see him and she agreed. That makes this semi-new mother of two so happy.

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

I especially love the beach picture of D! Also, it is so touching to read about how D has made such an impact on all of you. You have a precious family!