Thursday, June 2, 2011

Was That Really Necessary?

My mother knows I'm a worrier by nature. Maybe not so much a worrier in the traditional sense but definitely an overthinker. I ponder things in my mind and sometimes go past that healthy line. Like things I have no control over or things that may or may not happen in the future. You know, like all those things that keep me awake in the middle of the night after getting up to use the bathroom...again. I wish my mind didn't quite work that way but on the positive side, it does help me to make wise decisions with very few past regrets. And if there are past regrets, most of them were due to a conscious choice I made and went into with my eyes wide open.

Anyways, back to my mom knowing how I am. At the end of our conversation this week, she says, "I thought I should tell you now that having 2 kids isn't just twice the amount of work, it's more like three times the amount." Did I really need to be told that? Really?! I mean she knows I'm already stressing about how I'm going to handle two kids mostly on my own so how was her comment helpful? I love my mother but sometimes....grrr. I'll just put that on the list of what not to do with I. when she gets older.

What's funny is that the letter I wrote my parents about the future family events went unmentioned. That actually doesn't surprise me all that much since my parents consistently avoid speaking of negative or uncomfortable things. Much better strategy is to bury your head in the sand and pretend that everything is okay. With Father's Day coming up soon, the topic will obviously be broached so I guess we'll just wait until that happens.

No comments: