Thursday, February 3, 2011

A Good Day

What a day. Lots of good that's for sure but still feeling sick from the neck up so I am one tired girl tonight.

V. and I went to the doctor for my 12 week checkup in hopes of hearing our what's-it's heartbeat. After the normal preliminaries, it was time. I laid back and he started rolling the microphone around. We all kept listening but we weren't hearing anything. He kept moving it around but still nothing. That is not a good feeling. He said we'd go and do a quick ultrasound right now to doublecheck everything so off to that room we went.

I wasn't panicky at this point but while I was waiting for him to type my name in the machine, I started getting nervous. He lubed my tummy up and started moving the instrument around. Immediately we could see the shape of a baby. The doctor chuckled and said, "Oh, it's a lot higher up than I thought it would be at this point. No wonder I couldn't find the heartbeat down there." He moved it around until it was centered on the screen and before we could even look for its heartbeat, out kicked a leg, punch went an arm, and the whole body leaped up in the air like "Look at me!" Unbelievable. I started pointing out the hands, head, legs, spine etc. before the doctor even started to and while he was trying to measure its length, it kept jumping around, kicking and punching. The doctor said "My gosh, this baby is really moving around!" I had a moment of maternal pride that this baby seems as strong and energetic as his/her big sister is which was followed by a feeling of exhaustion of what it will be like if I get two high energy children.

V. and I were chuckling afterward when I turned to him in the elevator and said, "I don't think the combination of you and I make calm, easy children." We had time for lunch together afterwards just the two of us and that was a really nice treat too. The whole day was a nice bonding time for us. Below is a picture of the littlest one percolating inside of me:



1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Yay for baby What's It Valdez! Good news about the heart beat and just like a child of yours to be just a little different, i.e. being in a different place in womb than doc expected.