Monday, January 10, 2011

Monday Reentry

Today should be a good reentry into the week. It's no good when Monday is full of shoulds and have-tos - that just sets the tone for the whole week. At least for me it does. Sometimes I have no choice but this week I did.

We start with gymnastics for I. which she loves and I do too. Not only because I get to watch her but also because in between watching her, I read a book or magazine. It just makes for a nice way to continue my mind waking process. Because as anyone who knows me knows, I am not a morning person, which is hard when you have a vivacious kid who is. I. is just "on" until she's not. And then boy, you had better be close to her bed so that you can launch her in there or she will blow!

After gymnastics, we head to the chiropractor so both of us can get straightened out. Then while I. eats lunch in the back of the car, we'll head over to the movie theater to meet my mom, who hopefully won't be too late, and see "Tangled" before it leaves the movie theater. Afterwards, my mom is going to come over to see a few things at our house since she hasn't been over for awhile (thanks to my bitch sister). I'm hoping that will take us up to I.'s dinner and bed time because then I will be home free. Well, we'll see about that...

I say that because for the last couple of weeks, I. has been pushing the limit at bedtime. She gets to call me one time and then that's it. Well, she's been calling me that one time for just an extra kiss and then calling again for another poopoo expedition. Then she'll start saying that's she's hungry and she'll keep saying it until I threaten to close the door. Eventually that gets her to stop but by then I'm pissed and irritated. Keep in mind when it comes to the hungry thing that it's BS because she says it even after going to On The Border for chips, a full kids' meal (you know, up to 12 years old) and a scoop of vanilla ice cream for dessert. I mean, come on, she's 5 years old. So I know she's had enough food.

So last night while I was getting her ready for bed and V. was there, I told her that if she called me after poopoos or started throwing a fit about being hungry when she had plenty to eat that the door would be closed end of story. After getting her in bed and getting in the shower, she called V. in for poops and afterwards started with the "I'm hungry" bit and V. shut the door. Almost one hour to the minute, she finally stopped crying loudly and fell asleep. Painful and irritating at the time but I anticipate that I won't need to do much more than threaten a door closure to get the behavior to stop for the next several months. At least I hope so...

No comments: