Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Drum Roll Please

Today was actually a good day in the life of the Valdez family. I'm so relieved. Maybe we just needed to get one good day under our belt and then we'll gain momentum. We spent a couple of hours at the USS Midway and had a good time. At one point, an elderly veteran who was volunteering began talking to us. He happened to have a patch on one of his eyes (can you see where this is going?) and as we were walking away, I. asks me loudly, "Is that man a pirate Momma?" Oh my gosh, so funny! Then she proceeded to ask V. two more times since my "No" did not satisfy her curiousity.

Then we went to our favorite Mexican restaurant and had a late lunch which was also nice. Things definitely felt more relaxed and we were having a good time together. When we got home, V. went in the bathroom and when he came out, I. asked him,"Did you wipe your butt crack Daddy?" I was cracking up and V. was horrified, a combination that led I. to continue to ask the question. That kid!

Tonight felt much more relaxed and like days of old, complete with some lovin' and watching American Idol together which we enjoy doing. It's just the little simple things that make such a difference. Experiencing I.'s funny comments and chuckling later together about them, making rude, funny comments together while watching television, etc. This is the glue that's been missing over the last 14 months. There's still a lot of work to be done and it's only been one good day, but I really needed that one good day together just to prove and have hope that there's a chance we can be as good if not better than we were before.

Of course, we've got China looming in the fall which doesn't help keep that feeling of hope, but for now, it's here.

No comments: