Monday, September 3, 2012

The Next 12 School Years

Tomorrow morning begins the what school years will be like for the next 12 years.  I. will be starting first grade and with that, a full-day school day.  I have to admit, I'm really concerned for her because her energy levels flag so noticeably during the day when she's at home that I wonder how she's going to hold it together. Then I remember that the only time she doesn't hold it together is when she's at home and I feel a little more hopeful.

It's going to be so weird having I. gone for so much of the day.  I guess if she went to bed at a more "normal" time, let's say 7:30, it wouldn't be such a shock.  But getting out of school at 3:15 and being in bed by 5:15 is  a major time crunch.  I'm still waiting for when she can go to bed a little later and realize that I'm probably one of the few mothers waiting for this but to be honest, when she goes to bed at 6-something and gets up at 4-something, she's a different kid.  Last night, she was exhausted and was asleep by 5:40 and since she went to sleep early, she got up later (yes, I know that sounds opposite but that's how it works here) at 5:25 and today she was pleasant, funny, cheerful, and imaginative.  My baby girl was alive and well.  I'm going to miss her but I'd be lying if I didn't say that part of me is relieved after this summer.  Although I keep to a routine with some things, I think that I. kind of floundered after a week or two without the schedules of school days which contributed to some of the problems.  I guess we'll see if the structure of school helps in these coming days.

Today I decided we'd do something different as a family and go bowling in between D.'s naptimes and we had a good time.



After D.'s nap, which he didn't take due to the fact that he was being held at the bowling alley and therefore got no physical activity, we had chips, salsa, and guacamole for a treat while we bbq'd our early dinner and ate together.  It was nice and we had some laughs and just enjoyed each other's company for a change.  After we got the kids to bed and I got I.'s lunch and D.'s and I.'s breakfasts prepared, V. and I. enjoyed a couple of rounds of cards outside on the patio.  It made the 3 day weekend feel like a vacation.

But now, it's back to the grind.  The school grind that is.  An early alarm, a little more rush-rush than the summer mornings but then it'll be stretches of time - time to exercise and get projects done while D. naps and time for D. and I to have fun together one on one and give him that time that I. had with me.  This is one of the major benefits of having kids farther apart and I expect to enjoy it very much.

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Hope the first day went well today! I do imagine I was pretty tired by the time she got home. I'll look for some follow up posts1