Wednesday, October 21, 2009

A Nice Surprise and A Good Day

Today turned into a really good day for me. This morning we met some momma friends at a pumpkin patch for a couple of hours of fun and it was really nice. I. had a really fun time and it was nice to see some friends too. We even had time for I. to eat her lunch at the patch before going to preschool as opposed to in the car like I had anticipated.

A good guy friend of mine, the one that I'm closest to now that Mark is gone, and I traded text messages earlier today and while I was at the pumpkin patch, I texted him the question of whether he could sneak out for lunch today since we've been trying unsuccessfully since Labor Day. Turns out, he could and we did! I took I. to preschool, stayed for chapel and then met him for lunch. This was the first time in four years that I had met him without I. being there which changes the dynamics significantly. So we had lunch, just me and T. as adults. It was so much fun and it was like old times. It made my day and I gave some thought as to why - yes, he's my friend and we always enjoy each other's company but it was more than that. It comforted me because we have a shared history from the past 10-11 years that we refer back to and laugh about - roughly the same time period as Mark and I. And while they aren't the same memories that Mark and I had, it's still that same difficult time period where my friends truly helped keep me alive.

T. was the first one to show up and sit with me in the hospital the first time I tried to no longer be here and I can still remember him holding my hand, talking quietly to me with tears in his eyes. T. was a tough police sergeant so this was a real eye opener for me and caused me much pain. He was the one who took first shift with me so that I would be allowed out of the hospital. He took me to my apartment, was there when my boss called and caused so much stress on me that I hung up on him, and then held me as I sobbed. My other friend B., also in the PD, took second shift until V. could arrive from LA to take over (keep in mind, V. and I were broken up at this time but he loyally came to my aid immediately).

Not to say that I don't need some good momma friends, but this period of my life is so crucial even to my life today, that having 3 of the 4 men who surrounded, supported, loved, and tried their best to protect me is really important to me. Now that Mark is gone, I realize this all the more and am more thankful for the times I get to spend with them.

No comments: