Monday, April 6, 2009

Once in a Blue Moon

When it happens to come out that V. and I rarely fight (as in once every 3 years or so), I have a feeling people think I'm fibbing but really I'm not. We just get along extremely well and have gotten to that point in our lives where we realize what is important and what we should just let go 'cause it's not a big deal in the whole scheme of things. Does that mean we NEVER get aggravated at one another? No, though even those times are few and far in between, but tonight's dinnertime was a prime example of those once in a blue moon moments.

We were both really tired by the end of the day by the time we made our way to the dinner table. I began talking about a conversation I had with someone who I feel stops all conversations because he/she announces their "expert" opinion after I've said one sentence. Really, is there anything worthwhile to add to a conversation after that? Anyways, V. pulls out one of my pet peeves - playing devil's advocate and says, "Those were valid points." Aargh, that's not the point! The point is that he/she does this with every stinkin' topic of conversation and it gets old. V. loves to play devil's advocate just to aggravate and for those people who like to argue about anything (ex-wife, other friends) that's great because they love it. Me? I hate it. I don't enjoy arguing and would like to feel as though the person I sleep with and live with is on my side not every other stinkin' person I may bring up in my story of the day. So I state this and he just acts like he doesn't get it which aggravates me further.

Then, pet peeve #2 came into play because I was already aggravated - not commenting on how good dinner is. I've talked to him A LOT about how telling me that dinner tastes good would go really far with me in the scheme of things. But he still doesn't do it. So when the other pet peeve raised its ugly head tonight I figured I'd throw on pet peeve #2 for good measure. So I say,"Gee this chicken is really good tonight! Thanks sweetie I really think so too." Nothing like a dose of sarcasm to reve up a dinner.

At that point, V. got this perturbed, exhausted look about him which means 2 things. One, he's irritated and two, he's feeling piled on by my criticism. Knowing that number two is scar tissue due to the exwife, I clear the table and announce that I won't say any more critical things about him for the rest of the night since he's getting pissed off and overwhelmed by them but to just keep in mind what I've said because it's valid. And I kept my promise though it was actually pretty easy since he fell asleep on the couch about 45 minutes later (hee hee).

So that was our really fun evening and I'm sure there will be more in the future but hopefully not for another few months or so. The bottom line is that we're on the same team and have each other's backs in any fight and we know it. That simple knowledge and confidence will carry us through much of what life throws at us.

No comments: